PC Gaming 2012: M-M-M-Minecraft!

Macs are cool too... I guess.

Moderator: Skyline

PC Gaming 2012: M-M-M-Minecraft!

Postby Kawauso » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:15 pm

Heyo, Hi, Greetings, Howdy, other words from the list of salutations,

I, Nurse Otter, is announcing the Minecraft server I plan to run for this year's SNAFU Con!!!
Last Year I had almost everybody who came to play at the PC Gaming table (All two of them :P ) come to play on the Minecraft server....So I plan to make it the main PC Gaming focus of this year. :flail:

It is currently planned to be a Vanilla Minecraft gameplay, and I will have my 24 port switch to connect computers to the server with. I also apparently have a wireless router that apparently exists in my house so I plan to try to get that hooked up as well so the server could also be connected to remotely! yay! I am also going to try to experiment with some permission plugins that can make a easier system to manage for me, but I'm still working on a few logistical stuff for it.

I still also plan to at least have some other game software to run servers through as well just in case, but I am keeping it mostly Minecraft gameplay for this year.

So feel free to post suggestions, comments, responses, funny cat photos and other whatnots here and I will post updates on any info as it comes up.

See you at SNAFU Con 2012,
Sir Elf Princess Nurse Otter the Blindfolded Gamer Hippie of FancyLikeThePants
....Or just Otter or Nurse Otter works fine by me, lol
"I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say" ~Nappa
"Please tell me you didn't break the Internet..." ~Summer Wars
Kawauso
Nurse Otter

Re: PC Gaming 2012: M-M-M-Minecraft!

Postby Kawauso » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:05 pm

Hey folks! SNAFU Con is coming up and I so I wanted to post a few things regarding LAN Gaming.

It is a Bring Your Own Computer LAN event. We don't really have any computers to spare as gaming clients, so be sure to bring your own.

It is OFFLINE since the likelihood of having internet in the con area is low, but if we play any game through Steam, it should be fine, but please make sure you turn Steam into offline mode before you bring your computer to the LAN.

Besides Minecraft there can also be other games that can be run, some recent ideas tossed around were Borderlands 2, Starcraft 1 (since Starcraft 2 needs to be online for multiplayer) and other multiplayer games, such as Left 4 Dead or Half Life Synergy, which I will keep software on hand for in case someone wants to set up a game for it.

since we have to run Minecraft server in offline mode, an issue will arise with the client side of Minecraft, since the default name in offline mode is 'Player' and the server will kick out any joining players with the same name as an existing player. Thus, there is a workaround command that can run Minecraft that can run it and change the default offline name to whatever your choosing, given it hasn't been taken already by another already on the server.

The command for Windows is run from the run command (home+r) and it goes as follows:
java -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -cp "%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\*" -Djava.library.path="%APPDATA%\.minecraft\bin\natives" net.minecraft.client.Minecraft '"'YOUR NAME HERE'"'

sometimes the java command will not work and you will have to replace the word java with the path to the directory it is in.

For Mac/Linux: The command should be something along the lines of and to be run in the Terminal:
java -cp ~/.minecraft/bin/minecraft.jar:~/.minecraft/bin/lwjgl.jar:~/.minecraft/bin/lwjgl_util.jar:~/.minecraft/bin/jinput.jar: -Djava.library.path=~/.minecraft/bin/natives -Xmx1024M -Xms512M net.minecraft.client.Minecraft '"'YOUR NAME HERE'"'

this is a link to the site I got this information from. I haven't tested the Linux command myself so I'm not entirely sure if it would work:
http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questio ... e-in-linux

I will be keeping these commands on a file in my USB drive just in case and I am willing to help anybody who is having any issues.

However, if by some lucky odd chance one can grab a hold of enough internet to just be able to logon with their username, there shouldn't be any problems with the offline server, even if the client loses connection to Internet access, it only really needs it for logging into an account.

Regarding difficulties with the offline Minecraft server, that should take care of it! Just make sure all your programs are up to date and hope to see you folks there!

~Otter
pcgaming@snafucon.com
"I am hilarious and you will quote everything I say" ~Nappa
"Please tell me you didn't break the Internet..." ~Summer Wars
Kawauso
Nurse Otter

Re: PC Gaming 2012: M-M-M-Minecraft!

Postby Duncan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:05 pm

I'll bring my laptop probably for Saturday, (can't really afford the cost or time for the other two days) if you need help with the server I'll do what I can I've got my own server so I know most of the problems that arise (admittingly only running about 4-5 people at a time)
Duncan
Dedicated

Return to PC Gaming