Cheap Fabric Stores?

Tell us the best you've seen or done. Any tips?

Moderator: Nuriko Windchaser

Cheap Fabric Stores?

Postby Yashendwirh » Tue May 25, 2010 7:27 am

I've been browsing around for fabric online. The only fabric store I know of in Reno is Joannes and it's pretty expensive. t-shirt material runs between $5 to $10 there, which is ridiculous in my opinion, not to mention specialty fabrics like spandex or silk dupiani, which at Joannes is $10+ a yard, but I find between $4 and $8 online. However, is it worth buying it online if it's going to kick me with $10 shipping fees?

Do you know of any online places I can get both simple and specialty fabrics fairly inexpensive without such exuberant costs for shipping fees?
Yashendwirh
Bagel Thief

Re: Cheap Fabric Stores?

Postby beta » Tue May 25, 2010 9:18 am

I don't know about cheap fabric, necessarily, but after working at Jo-Ann's, I want to mention that you don't just go in and buy fabric.
You get yourself on their mailing list. Every month or so they send you the ads which tell you what's on sale when, and at the back of every mailed ad (not the in-door ads, you HAVE to be on the mailing list) there is a coupon for usually 20%, sometimes more, that you can use on non-sale items.

Also watch for remnant sales. Every so often they put all the remants on sale. This won't help with large amounts of fabric, but you can get under-one-yard cuts for basically 75% off because remnants are already half off the normal price.

Never pay full-price for anything at Jo-Ann's.
Stupid cats. Can't ever seem to get them back in their bags.
beta
Resident (evil) Priestess of Doom

Postby AngelboyDark » Tue May 25, 2010 10:15 am

I don't know about cheap:
Mill end fabrics reno - specialty fabrics and gadgets in bulk
Jo Anne's has sales and things not listed on sale a lot of the time - go into the store.
AngelboyDark
Chair

Postby Cybernoid001 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:49 pm

isn't there a place called $2 Fabric on Plumb lane next to sak-n-save?
"You cannot depend on your eyes, when your imagination is out of focus."- Mark Twain
Cybernoid001
N00blet

Postby Nuriko Windchaser » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:39 pm

Yes, but it doesn't carry anything good anymore. Now it's mostly just upholstery fabric.
Nuriko Windchaser
Super-Rookie

Postby Daemon Queen » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:46 pm

Mill End fabrics is the place to go if you're looking for the cheapest possible fabric prices. Because it's a resale outlet (a whole store full of remnants and other things that didn't sell in a retail store), you never know what you're going to find there. It's a store to go into with an open mind. If you walk in thinking "I'm going to get THIS fabric today, in this particular color I want!" you will probably end up very frustrated.

I don't think I've ever placed an order for specialty fabrics and had the shipping be less than $10. More, usually, since if I'm getting something I use a lot, I'll be buying many yards at one time. If you're doing costuming, it's really better to buy fabric from a place where you can look at it and touch it and decide what you really want. It's pretty hard to tell exactly what you'll be getting in an online store. Weight, texture, and even color (because of monitor variations) can all be different from what you expect.
Daemon Queen
Bagel Thief

Postby Theophenes » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:55 am

Hancock Fabric's is usually cheaper than Jo-anne's, and tends to have soem cool stuff. I'd get on their mailing lists as well, they have a lto of creative sales and the like.
Theophenes
Super-Rookie

Postby ChibiSquall » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:51 pm

This is a little out of left field, but thrift stores can also be good for find fabric pieces or garments that can be sacrficed.
"Whatever..."
ChibiSquall
Bagel Thief

Postby Nuzzle » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:36 am

We offer best quality Electronic Gadgets test papers and Text books and Islamic Apps materials. You can get our Games 100% guaranteed Islamic Devices.
ISMART is a vision and way Which is Molding Old education System Into Modern Education System by Providing tech to Our new generation.Modern Education system is an important tool that is applied in the contemporary world to succeed. The knowledge gained through Modern technology, So ISMART will provides you more technologies and modern systems for Education of Our children..........!
In 21th century, Mostly countries Education system has declined Due to just Skewness in education, due to lack of technology.
So In Short, we can say that "we should adopt Tech Providing ismart".
God Almighty has blessed us with A lot of Blessings including Mainly Technology and Innovation.
https://www.facebook.com/ismart.pk
http://www.iqra.com.hk/
Nuzzle
Yay!

Return to Cosplay