How much to bring?

Are you an artist? Are you bringing something? Suggestions for the art area? Have you picked up anything really cool from artists at other cons?

Moderator: Nuriko Windchaser

How much to bring?

Postby outsidethelines » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:31 am

Hello everyone, not sure if anyone reads these forums anymore, but thought I would give this a chance. I am considering getting a table at the convention this year as my first ever craft fair/anything fair for my work. I knit, sew, and cross stitch nerdy themed things. Some of the things I was considering bringing are: knit stuffed Dalek, stuffed sackboy, stuffed creeper, knit elf/spock ears, sewn doctor who bowtie, cross stitched small pieces depicting Pokemon, Zelda, Darth Vader, World of Warcraft, and Harry Potter.

Does anyone know if these things would sell and if so, how much should I make of each to bring with me? Also, do these prices seem fair? Stuffed toys: $30 Knit ears: $7 Bowties: $7 Cross stitch pieces (about 4 inch by 4 inch, depending on the picture, comes sewn onto a piece of cardboard convenient for later framing): $15
outsidethelines
Yay!

Re: How much to bring?

Postby silentstone7 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:30 am

I generally like to bring 5 to 10 of each item I sell. Although I tend to also bring a lot of one of a kind items, so once it's gone, it's gone.

I know some people who will only bring a few things, and keep the last one on display, or a picture of everything they sell, so if someone really wants something, they can order it after con.

Your prices seem great, but as far as ears go, you might have some trouble with $30. The first year I sold at SNAFU, I had my ears (foam and feather) priced at around 15 bucks. They sold well the first year. In recent years, I've dropped the price to $10 and sometimes as low as $5 on the last day. Most of the people who want them, bought them in prior years. There is also another person selling faux-fur ear hats in the $15 to $20 range, I believe. She's been there for two years. If you have something that's new and different, you'll get sales from people that like it, but I wouldn't think they'd pay over $20. If that's too low, and you don't make money selling at that price, by all means keep it at $30, but it might mean less sales. As far as colors go, I noticed that I was selling a ton of the neutral colors (grey, black, brown, tan, white) and a lot of certain colors (light blue, pink, dark blue, neon green, dark purple) and almost none of other colors (orange, red, yellow, light purple, etc, etc.)

I hope that helps!
silentstone7
Yay!

Re: How much to bring?

Postby outsidethelines » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:33 pm

Oh the $30 was for the stuffed toys, I was saying $7 for the ears :) Thank you very much for your response, that helps pretty well for me, I should bring a little book of all my stuff I make just in case. Also, the color for the ears helps too :) The yarn I am thinking of using is sparkly and they are different than a hat or anything so hopefully people like that they are different. Again, thanks for the help!
outsidethelines
Yay!

Return to Artist Alley